Saturday, October 29, 2011

God bless America

On Monday, October 3, we had the chance to visit Washington DC. 
My kids made fun of me because I cried.  I grew up in a very patriotic home.  My Dad is a Vietnam Veteran.  My mom works for the Veterans Affairs Medical Clinic.  We have always been "Proud to be an American".  After September 11, 2001, I became more patriotic if possible.  It was at that time that I fully understood that freedom is not free.  As we rode the Metro into the heart of DC, I began to think about all the history I was about to see.  I began to think about all of the men and woman who gave up their family so I could be free.  I thought about the laws we have, both good and bad.  I thought about all the men who came across the ocean to start a new life here.  As I thought about this I began to pray . . .  Pray for our country, our leaders and our service men and woman and our President.  When we stepped off the Metro and headed up the stairs to the Mall, I was shocked at the beauty i saw and pride I felt.  I looked to my left and there was the Washington Monument and to my right was the Capital Building.  I wanted to burst out in song
"God bless America, land that I love. 
Stand beside her and guild her
with the light from above . . . ." 

The Capital Building

 The Washington Monument
Noah, Eli, Rachal, Jonah
(it was raining and cold, we were freezing)

 The White House

 Lincoln Memorial



 Looking at all the names on the Vietnam Memorial Wall

Jonah and Eli in front of the first airplane made by the Write Brothers.


Psalm 33:12
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment