Thursday, February 21, 2013

stretching is no fun . . . but so worth the time!!

We have been a fitness kick around our house.  Mike started running almost a year ago.  He has lost more than 30 pounds.  I started walking in the mornings a few weeks back.  I don't think I have lost anything yet, but I know I feel better!  There is just something about getting up and getting moving first thing.  I love the feel of the cool morning wind against my face to wake me up and get me ready for a day of schooling and family and fun. 

This post really is not about exercise.  It is however, about being stretched.


And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
I Chronicles  4:10
 
 
. . . Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed . . . . (give me the desires of my heart)
. . . and enlarge my coast . . . (give me a bigger vision)
. . . and that thine hand might be with me . . . (keep Your hands of protection on me and my family)
. . . and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, . . . (guard my heart)
 
 
Jabez prayed that God would enlarge his coast.  Jabez prayed that God would give him a bigger vision.  God would give him a larger area to minister.  God would stretch him.  God would take him out of his comfort zone.
 
 
 Every few months I will be reminded of this verse.  I will be reminded of how I want God to bless me, of how I want God's hand to be with me, of how I want God to keep me from evil.  I always kind of skip over the "enlarge my coast" part.   I mean really, I am a missionary.  I do live in another country.  I am suffering for Jesus over here. :)  And besides, that part is for "those Christians in America."  Right?? 
 
 
Wrong.  Wrong. Wrong!
 
 
That part, that whole verse is for me!!
 
Last Friday, Junko asked me if I would like to meet some of her friends.  I said sure!  She then told me that one Wednesday morning a month she volunteers at the Nakagawa Children's Center.  (It's a mother's day out type program.)  She went on to tell me about the five older ladies, who speak NO ENGLISH would also be there to help.  She told me that she would be very busy because she is the group leader.  She would be talking with the mothers, the other volunteers, and making sure all the rules are followed.  She then asked, "Can you help me at the Children's Center on Wednesday?"  I said yes but as the words were coming out of my mouth I felt the fear building up in me.  I am not normally a shy person.  I am not normally afraid of a new task.  But for some reason the thought of being in a room for 3 hours with ladies who did not speak English was terrifying. 
 
 
I came home and told Mike about it.  He said, "Great!  You should do it!" 
 
 
But I didn't want supportive right now.  I wanted someone to say . . .
 
 
 "Are you crazy?  Don't do that.  Don't befriend these ladies or help your friend.  Don't meet new people.  And don't you dare try to learn more of that Japanese language.  God will give you the language when you need it.  Now, come over here and lets eat a big bowl of ice cream together because calories don't count for Christians!" 
 
 
 Now that is what I wanted to hear.  All weekend I tried to think of a reason to call and say I could not make it.  I check the temperature of all the kids daily.  Surly, someone is going to get sick.  I would come up with excuses in my head.  I would try to convince myself that I could not do this.  And then it hit me.  Japanese Class!!  Bingo!  That was it.  I couldn't go because I have Japanese class on Wednesday afternoons.  God quickly took care of that excuse.  Our Japanese teacher got the flu.  She sent an email Tuesday night.  (Mike didn't tell me until Wednesday afternoon)
 
 
God was already working on my heart Tuesday.  Eli was looking for a Bible verse.  I couldn't remember exactly where it was.  I knew I had it marked in my Bible.  So I began flipping through my Bible, scanning the highlighted verses.  BAM!  I Chronicles 4:10 
 
 
I read the verses and my eyes were drawn to "enlarge my coast".  I stopped everything I was doing.  I felt guilt and shame. 
 
 
. . . enlarge my coast . . .
 
 
. . . enlarge my coast . . .
 
 
I was not willing to let God enlarge my coast.  My area of influence.  My comfort zone. 
 
 
 
 
I knew then that no matter how uncomfortable I might feel, no matter how I was going to struggle with the language, or how strange it would be to play with children who would not understand me, I knew I had to go.  I needed to enlarge my coast. 
 
 
Wednesday morning I got up and got Noah and Rachal off to school.  Then got Jonah and Eli started on there work.  I jumped on my bike and rode off.  When I arrived I was greeted by friendly smiles.  A 9 month old baby was quickly placed in my arms.  I sat down and began to play pat-a-cake.  With in a few minutes the ladies slowly began to come up and speak to me.  I told them, "I don't understand very much Japanese."  They spoke very slowly and little by little I was able to communicate with them.  One lady asked me what university I attend.  I laughed. "No I am not a student.  I am married with four children." 
 
 
Sometimes it is hard to be stretched. Let me tell you, when you put your fear aside and let God lead, it can turn out to be a pretty awesome morning.




1 comment:

  1. this is awesome. I love how God has lead you to so many areas of witnessing for Him. Another sign that you are in God's perfect will.

    ReplyDelete