Friday, February 17, 2012

The day I did the same laundry - twice

A "normal" day for me here starts with me washing a load of laundry.  After the laundry has washed, I hang my laundry out to dry.  No dryer for me!!!  So rain or shine, snow or sleet, I hang out the laundry.  I have two poles right outside the patio door for hanging laundry on.  On rainy days I hang the laundry inside the house.  I hang them on curtain rods.  But no matter what the weather is I must hang my clothes to dry.

On this particular Tuesday I put all my laundry outside.  I was very thankful for the sun.  (funny thing is when you are in Japan, a good sunny day for drying laundry can make you very happy)  The two days before had been rainy and damp.  I was glad to be able to hang the laundry out.  About 30 minutes later I went to check and see how things were going.  It was windy this day too.  (Extra blessing - clothes dry faster)  My towels had blown off the pole and were in a mud puddle.  So this little go get'em girl said, "OK no big deal it's early.  I will re-wash them and try this again."  So in the house they came and back in the washer they went.  Then after the wash and rinse, I hung them BACK on the laundry poles.  This time I knew they would stay.  I was sure I had them secure.  So I head off to do my other chores around the house.  I come back an hour or so later and guess what??  My towels are in the mud - AGAIN!!!!  I don't know why, but I just burst into tears!! I was so upset.  I just kept saying, "I don't know how to be a Japanese housewife!  I only know how to be American.  What are we doing here?"  I was talking more to God than myself.  I was angry and upset and homesick.  I wanted to see a GE dryer so bad right then.  I would have given just about anything at that moment to see one. 

Later that afternoon, while I was cooking dinner, Jonah came in the apartment.  He was beaming and said, "Mom, I made a friend at the park.  We are talking!!"  He had met a girl around 8 yrs old.  She was not afraid of the American kids.  She was trying to talk to them.  My kids would write their name in Japanese in the sand and she would write her name.  She would laugh when the kids mispronounced words and she would correct them.  The kids were so happy to have made a friend!!  I have to admit I was humbled and convicted.  I may not know how to be a Japanese housewife but God can show me.  And I do know why we are here.  It's because of the Japanese people.  It's because of the little girl who became my kids first Japanese friend.  Her name is Yuma. 

This is my laundry hanging outside to dry

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Wyatt

    Oh! Please ask me anything like laundry. It is not small thing for you as a wife. I know that sometimes I had a same problem when the weather is windy. I just put more cothepins to make sure the laundry stay hanged. I know I washed them again. Some people in Japan use dryer.However, the size would be smaller than the one in America. If you have hard time to do laundry without dryer, you can get it in Japan at the electricity store, or through internet. I wonder... Does COSTCO sell those things? I have not been there so often, but when I went there, I saw some electrical appliance.
    Anyway, if you find difficulty in life here, please tell me when we meet at church!! Rumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristy, my friend, I wonder how many times God puts us somewhere only to turn around and find that we are back in the 'mud puddle' of our own making? Very good illustrations to be had from this experience - thank you for sharing. Miss you like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! We visited some friends in Japan on our way to move to Australia. I loved it there, but knew it would be hard to live there. I'm in Australia and don't have a dryer either. I thought I could do without, but have many days of tears after hanging all the clothing on the lines on a sunny day only to go out an hour or so later to see it pouring rain. Because of the humidity things mold quickly so I often have to rewash them. I feel your pain! But I remember being in the states thinking nothing could be so bad in Australia! We waited nearly 3 years (after two years of deputation) for our visas. Like Paul, I'm learning to be content whatever the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete