Tuesday, November 20, 2012

5% . . . . really is it worth it?

I love a good sale.  I really love a good sale. 
There is just something exciting when you walk into a store and see SALE! 
 But as much as I love a good sale, I will usually not even
stop if the mark down is less than 20%.  
I just feel like it's useless for 15%, 10%, and
they might as well not even put up the signs for 5%. 
Because if it's not at least 20%, then really,
 they have not given up very much.



I have not written on the blog in a while.  My life has been crazy.  Things are changing.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner.  I am trying to keep my head above water.  I am only giving 5% to everything I am doing.

We have been sick.  I have been sick.  The kids have been sick.  We all have this barking cough and runny nose.  It's hard to go see a doctor.  I can't really explain what's going on with us.  So I have to wait until it is convenient for someone to take me.  I have not been sleeping well, about 5% of my night is sleeping and the rest is me coughing. 

We have changed the way we are doing home school.  We went from having everyone on the same program to "a little bit of this and a little bit of that".  I think in the long run it will work out and be great for us.  It's just the change and new routine that has taken some time to get used to.  I feel like I am only giving 5% to school right now.  I feel each day that I am one or two steps behind and running around like crazy trying to catch up with this schedule in my head. 

I started a new language school a few months back.  I am loving the new class.  I love the teaching style.  I feel like I am learning how to speak.  I am now making sentences, first grade simple sentences, but sentences none the less.  I know I am not practicing my new vocabulary words like I should.  I know I am not looking for ways to use my language.  I know I am only giving 5% in this area too.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are quickly coming. I have been wishing them away.  Not that I am a Scrooge or hate the holidays.  I just don't want to be away from home, from family.  PLUS,  I have nothing for the holidays.  We came to Japan almost a year ago with 12 boxes and 6 carry on bags.  We brought what we knew we would need to survive.  Christmas decorations did not make the list.  Fall wreaths did not make the list.  Candy Canes did not make the list (can't find candy canes in the stores.  How do you have Christmas with no candy canes?)  So, I have been planning Christmas since September.  I have been trying to make stockings, I have been thinking about decorations I can make here and missing MY ornaments.  Our family traditions and our Christmas things.  I know it is silly, but it's true.  So I feel that I am only giving 5%  toward Christmas. 

Really, 5% stinks.  It's the worst.  I mean really who wants just 5%.  God wants more than that.   My family needs more of me than just 5%.  

Bring ye all the tithes (10%) into the storehouse,
that there may be meat in mine house,
and prove me now herewith,
saith the Lord of hosts,
if I will not open you the windows of heaven,
and pour you out a blessing,
that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 
Malachi 3:10
 
 
So today, I am putting God first, I am giving him my day (at the beginning of the day).  I am asking him to show me how to give 100% to my husband and to my kids.  If I get that right, then the rest will just fall into place {home school, language, Christmas and Thanksgiving}  I don't have to always have a perfect house, and it will be OK if we don't get everything done today in school.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming even if I don't have the stockings finished.  All that really matters, at the end of the day, is that I gave 100% of my day to glorify God and love my family.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. You are going to be fine. And I'm sure you have been giving for than 5%. But you are right, if you give God 100% then the rest will fall in order. Don't be homesick. Enjoy making memories with your kids. Love ya and Miss ya

    ReplyDelete