Monday, December 31, 2012

Mimi


Elsie Pauline was her name, but Mimi is who she was. 

She was born in the country.  Hermleigh Texas, July 3, 1928 to be exact. But, she loved adventure.  She loved the action.  She loved the business of the city.  She loved people. (and people watching) 





From as far back as I can remember she has always had many friends.  She may have only met them a short while ago, or maybe she has known them for years.  No matter the time or the distance between them, you knew you were loved.  Maybe it was a hug as you came in the house or a squeeze of your hand as you laughed over a funny story.  You could not leave her side without knowing you we're special to her.




Oh how she loved a new adventure.  When others grandmothers were playing it safe and driving a Cadillac or a Grand Marquis, Mimi was sporting around town in her Red Thunderbird.  When most grandmothers would have been content to join to a quilting bee, Mimi was joining the Wagon Wheel Square Dance Club!  When other ladies her age were overwhelmed by going to the mall, Mimi was packing her bags for yet another adventure. . . . . Bahamas, Jamaica, Brazil!  Where I am sure she made new friends. 




She was a fighter!  If you told her it couldn't be done, she did it.  If you told her it shouldn't be done, she did it. When the doctors said, "Elsie, you have breast cancer."  She beat it.  When the surgeon said, "Mrs. Ammons, you need not one, but two hips replaced." She did it.  When her daughters told her, "Mother, you can't walk anymore." Well, she never walked again, but she sure tried!  Because she was a fighter.


 

She was also a great story teller.  Oh how I remember the story of Epaminondus.  We would listen each time like it was our first time to hear the story.  Knowing good and well, that he was going to step in the mince meat pies at the end.  She also would sing silly songs to us as we curled up in her lap.  Silly songs about "three little fishes that swam and swam right over the dam".  Or a song I was sure had made up words.  It was not until I was older, I figured out that mares, do in fact, eat oats, and does eats oats and little lambs eat ivy!




So you see, Mimi was one special lady.  And not just anyone can fill her shoes.  She never liked to wear shoes anyway.  I know she is in heaven today.  Oh the grand time she must be having.  All the friends and family that have gone on before her, waiting to welcome her.  I know she was excited to see them again but I have no doubt that she said, "Take me to see my Jesus!" I am sure that she is running down the streets of gold, barefoot no less.  With gold dust between her toes.  Maybe she even dipped her toes in the River of Life.  So run Mimi, run and have fun.  Have an adventure with Grandy again.  Sing songs and tell stories.  I will see you again one day.




I am sad today,
not because she is in heaven but
because not everyone got to meet my Mimi.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Is the last picture of Elsie with Ron and Marilyn? Norma Lee Carden Green Reynolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara told me that it is Sheila. Could you email this to norey63@sbcglobal.net. My children are Elsie's great nephews and niece as their father is Melvin Curtis Green, son of Mary Lois Vernon Green and T E Green. Thanks for posting this

      Delete