Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tell me your story

Today I left the house to meet Junko for coffee, donuts and Bible study.



The morning started out rough.  Not bad but, not good either.  The alarm didn't go off.  We woke up late.  We woke up almost an hour late!!  Mike almost didn't make his meeting.  Noah and Rachal were walking out the door still chewing on a piece of toast for breakfast.  Jonah could not find his pants.   By 9:45 am I had already prayed for peace for today.  I felt that I was two steps behind and that Satan was getting the victory.  I had not opened my Bible.  I had not even had a chance to glance over the Bible study lesson. 
 
"Be still and know that I am God. . . "

I heard these words whispered over my heart.  I took a deep breath of cold air.  Climbed on my bike and headed off to meet my friend.

After we had our coffee and donuts.  We made some small talk about how my language class was going.  We talked about the kids having a cold and how the weather had changed so quickly.  As I reached for my Bible she said,
 
"Tell me your story."

It took a moment to understand what she was asking.  "Tell me your story."  She wanted to hear my testimony.  She wanted to hear how God had changed me.  She wanted to know how I became a Christian.  The thought that crossed my mind was, "How can I tell my story unless I tell Jesus' story first." 

So I began in Romans Chapter 10.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.   For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:9-13
 
After I read the verses I began to share my story.  I started by telling how I was raised in a Christian home.  I was blessed to be able to attend church all my life.  I told her how when I was 13 I knew that my life was not complete.  I knew I was missing a very important part.  I knew I needed Jesus in my life.  I told her how my Dad took his Bible and showed me these same verses in Romans.  I was able to pray and ask Jesus to be the Lord of my life (and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation).  As I told her my story tears began to fall.  She told me to stop if it was going to upset me.  I smiled and said, "I am so happy to be able to share my story that I am crying."  She smiled. 
 
Junko thanked me for sharing my story.  She told me she is empty on the inside.  I told her that I was praying for her.  I told her that Jesus can fill that empty spot inside her. 
 
As I rode my bike home, I prayed again and thanked God for all the blessings in my life.  He turned what could have been a messy, stressful day into a wonderful day.  He allowed me the chance to share His story and my story with my friend.  I rode home with tears in my eyes, singing this song.
 
I love to tell the story
of unseen things above,
of Jesus and his glory,
of Jesus and his love. 
I love to tell the story,
because I know 'tis true;
it satisfies my longings
as nothing else can do.
 

I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.


No comments:

Post a Comment