Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 3 - And that's all I know about that . . .

This week I would like for you to meet my friend 

 Amy Litton

I have known Amy for about 20 years.  The first time we meet was at my sisters wedding.  I was 15 years old.  She was decorating the fellowship hall at the church and I was amazed at how she had turned the drab tan room into a beautiful spring bouquet of colors.  I don't think I talked to her again until 1997, when I was asking her to help decorate the fellowship hall for my wedding.  And again she did an amazing job.  Because that is what Amy does!  She is the most creative person I know.  Our friendship didn't really bloom until 8 years ago.  God placed her right in my path again.  Mike and I and the kids had just moved back to Texas.   I was hurt and really needed a friend.  Someone who understood how I felt.  Understood how hard it can hurt to be wounded by another Christian.  Although we never really got into deep, theological discussions about picking yourself up, dusting off the hurt and moving forward.  She helped me so much.  We did however, bury ourselves in late night scrapbook parties, and scraping my parents life in an album for their 35th wedding anniversary.  Our families grew closer and our kids became "cousins" because they didn't understand we are not really related even though they both share cousins.  She has been an encouragement to me in so many ways, a sounding board for me and someone to help me keep my focus. 

Without further ado . . . . here's Amy.



JOY

My subject is 3rd generation Christian.  I am supposed to tell you all I know about being a third generation Christian (really at least 4th generation, maybe more...).  Well, I thought maybe I would just give you a list of who I am and what I know/think about being a Christian:

Sam , Don , Am y, Susie , Eli


I was (obviously) raised in a Christian home.

I was schooled in a Christian school.

    I loved Christian school - for me it was a wonderful and safe place to grow up.

I was at church ALL the time and I do mean all the time.

The earliest lesson I remember from Sunday School is JOY - Jesus, Others, You.
   This really works, by the way.

My parents divorced -
research your facts and you will see that this is very common among Christians.

I love my KJV Bible -
 there is beauty in the words that I do not find in the newer 'more understandable' versions.

    PS - I believe the KJV has much to do with the fact that I had a fairly large vocabulary at a young age.

I do not know all there is to know about my Bible or Christianity or the Baptist church.

I do not believe that I am better than anyone else - Christian or not.
 Ephesians 2:8-9 
"it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

I NEVER pray for patience.

I have a terrible temper.

I fail every single day in some way.
To quote Keith Green (http://www.lastdaysministries.org/),
"I'm such a bad example, and you know I'm so full of pride."

Something Pastor Jim Schettler preached when I was in college changed the way I think about being a Christian - the 'broad' and 'narrow' roads are not separate paths, rather the narrow road runs right up the middle of the broad road, only in the opposite direction.

Something I've learned in life - Christ-like is not the same for everyone.  There is no long list in the Bible that says, "To be Christ-like you must..." and if there were my life would be a whole lot simpler.

I don't agree with everything every other Christian says or does
(see 'Christ-like' point above).

I have family and friends who need Jesus.

I fear that my children could make mistakes that might doom
future generations to a Christ-less eternity.

I don't care for most tele-evangelists.

I think I am a fanatic - I hope so, anyway.

I don't present the gospel like I should.

I fear rejection.

I get depressed.

Sometimes I question...shocking isn't it?

I know that sin is humbling, pride goeth before a fall, hell is real, God is not fair - He is just and merciful but not fair - life is short, opportunities to serve and minister happen every day, and God loves me in spite of my many shortcomings.

I know that I am going to heaven when I die - not because my grandparents or parents believe but because I accepted Christ’s sacrifice for my sins.  My relationship with God is mine and no amount of belief on the part of past generations of my family could have given me eternal life.  Their examples may have led to my own acceptance, but it had to be my choice.

I pray for future generations of this family that their choice will be Christ.

And that's all I know about that . . . .

Did you enjoy this?  She writes her own blog.  You should go check it out.
http://cropcirclesamy.blogspot.jp/2012/06/christians-are-never-depressed.html

2 comments:

  1. I love it and you, you are such a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE AMY :)Her and her family are great people. Don & the kids are so much fun to be around - but Amy... she's a great person!

    ReplyDelete