Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bible study

For the last three weeks my friend, Junko* and I have been meeting at Mr. Doughnut.  We arrive each week around 10 am.  We get a doughnut and an ice coffee for 300 yen.  We eat our doughnut and talk about our week.  The kids, the weather, what we are having for dinner.  {by the way, she wants me to teach her how to make Texas Taco's ~ the Japanese word for squid is tako so I call them Texas Taco's so she understands NO SQUID}  After our doughnuts are gone, we open the Bible and study. 





She has so many questions and she is slowing understanding about God.  We had to start at the very beginning - creation.  You see, the Japanese people believe in evolution.  And why should they not, they have no concept of God.  None.  They have gods and idols but they have NEVER heard about the one and only God ~ my God, Jehovah, my Provider, the Light of the world, Yahweh.


So each week we get a little bit more into the Word.  Each week she has more questions and each week I try to explain in simple words about Jesus and His love for us.







This Friday, we read the verse, Mark 16:15 "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to all the world."  She read it from the Japanese Bible, I read it from the English Bible.  She paused, and then she read it from my Bible.  She looked at me and said, "That is what you did.  That is why you left America."  A lump grew in my throat, my eyes welled with tears.  I swallowed hard and said, "Yes, this is why I left America.  This, pointing to my Bible, is why I left my family.  God tells us that we should share this Good news of Jesus with everyone."  She grabbed my hand and said, "Thank you."


Please keep praying for Junko. 


*Junko is pronounced June-co

2 comments: